Our clients work internationally. That’s why for each project, we put together the right team of renowned and experienced advisors from all over the world.
Thanks to our long-standing cooperation with leading law firms abroad and our regular contacts with advisors worldwide, our established network covers all of the relevant jurisdictions. For international tax advice, we draw on Taxand, the world’s largest alliance of independent tax advisory firms. As none of our relationships with other Taxand member firms is exclusive, we can choose the best-placed firm to support our clients in each case. We are also happy to work with our clients’ own advisors in their home countries.
With these made-to-measure international teams, we can provide our clients with the best possible advice on all international matters. Our independence and our relationships with firms in other countries prove their worth in every project – whether advising clients in Germany on their projects abroad, or supporting clients abroad with issues of German law.
In multinational engagements, the responsible partner from Flick Gocke Schaumburg remains the first point of contact and coordinates the team. That way, we ensure the engagement runs smoothly with support from a single source.
Our advisory services
Companies that operate across borders are confronted with many different tax regimes that not only have an impact on inbound and outbound activities, but also offer new structuring options. Flick Gocke Schaumburg was one of the first firms in Germany to dedicate itself to international tax law. Our lawyers and tax advisors always address international taxation issues very early in their analysis of a company’s legal affairs. They demonstrate their academic and practical edge in the expertise that flows into their daily work for our clients. One of our great strengths is to anticipate conflicts and take action to avoid them.
Client advisory in international tax law
- Cross-border investments (inbound and outbound)
- Designing and implementing cross-border restructurings (e.g. transfers of functions)
- Designing, documenting and defending transfer pricing systems
- International taxation of permanent establishments
- International minimum taxation (Pillar Two)
- Country-by-country reporting
- Expatriation and immigration of individuals and business entities
- German CFC rules
- Cross-border succession planning
- Foreign family foundations and trusts
- Cross-border sharing of information
- Advising on mutual agreement procedures and advance agreement procedures
- Advising on joint audits
- Tax litigation including representation before the CJEU
- Representation and defense in state-aid proceedings in tax matters
- Applying for withholding tax refunds and exemptions
Many of our clients have an international outlook. That’s why we do, too. With our academic edge and our extensive experience in multinational and intercultural engagements, we support our clients across borders.
Client advisory in corporate law/M&A
- Cross-border sales and acquisitions, mergers (inbound and outbound)
- Cross-border transactions
- Establishing and reorganizing international group structures
- Support for managers and shareholders in and from other cultures and jurisdictions
- Support with entering the German market by establishing an organization in Germany or investing in an existing structure
- Assistance in and out of court with international dispute proceedings before state courts and arbitration tribunals
High-net-worth individuals have placed their trust in us for many decades. We advise private clients on cross-border estate planning and administration, the structuring of international income-tax and inheritance-tax affairs, and resettling abroad or in Germany. Our clients rely on our expertise when acquiring assets abroad, whether a vacation home, commercial real-estate portfolio, shareholding, or an agricultural and forestry holding.
Our expertise for private clients
- Advice on cross-border inheritance and gifts
- Structuring assets in Germany and abroad
- Advice on structuring real estate via corporate entities (such as KG, SCI)
- Advice on fund structures in Germany and abroad
- Contractual support for cross-border succession arrangements, e.g. drafting wills, inheritance contracts, and gift contracts
- Advice on usufruct arrangements for cross-border inheritance and gifts
- Support with preparing inheritance and gift tax returns in a cross-border context
- Foundation structures in Germany and abroad (family foundation and fonds de dotation)
We have specialist multidisciplinary teams for the following countries:
Find out more about our country expertise in Austria.
Find out more
Find out more about our country expertise in Belgium, the Netherlands and Luxembourg.
Find out more about our country expertise in France.
Find out more about our country expertise in Italy.
Find out more about our country expertise in Spain.
Find out more about our country expertise in Switzerland.
Find out more about our country expertise in the UK.
Find out more about our country expertise in the USA.